We have been on a Rice Krispie treat kick recently, and made some with peanut butter and chocolate. These used to be our special treat every time we went to QuikTrip, but they no longer have them in stores. Probably better for my waistline, anyway.
Rice Krispie treats are so easy to throw together, and the options for new combinations are nearly endless. You could add in mini Reese's cups, M&Ms, peanut butter chips, or any extras your family loves!
Peanut Butter & Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
2 10oz packages of mini marshallows
7-8 Cups Rice Krispies (we used 8 for a more dense treat)
6 Tbsp butter
1/2 Cup peanut butter
2-ish cups of chocolate chips (reserve for top)
1. In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add in the marshmallows and stir until melted.
2. Remove from heat and add in peanut butter. Mix well.
3. Add in cereal a few cups at a time (or dump it all in if you have really strong arms). *add in any extras (mini Reese's, M&Ms, etc.), but be aware that some will melt from the warmth of the marshmallow/butter mixture.
4. Spread into a well-greased 9" x 13" baking dish. We greased aluminum foil with butter so that we could easily lift them out to cut.
5. While treats are still warm, sprinkle chocolate chips on top. They will melt fairly quickly, and then you can spread them with a knife or offset spatula. If you do not work quickly, you can always melt the chips in the microwave or over a double boiler and spread over the top.
6. Wait approximately 1 hour for treats to set up before cutting. Lick the spatula to tide you over, if needed at this stage.